Thursday, January 03, 2008

Top 10 Movies of 2007

Here is my completely meaningless top 10 movies of 2007 list.

Top 10 Movies of 2007

1. Enchanted
2. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
3. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
4. The Bourne Ultimatum
5. No Country for Old Men
6. Catch and Release
7. Superbad
8. The Mist
9. Nancy Drew
10. Music & Lyrics

Comments: I still have not seen literally any movie that will contend for an Oscar except No Country For Old Men. I usually like a few of the Oscar contenders, so take this with a grain of salt. Basically if you are wondering where almost any movie on this list is, there's a pretty good chance I have not seen it.

Enchanted should be an extremely unsurprising number one. The more I think about it the more the ending bothers me, but it has to be at #1 in deference to my reaction to the film on watching it. This is the film romance that's affected me the most of any film romance in a while. I don't expect other people to have the same reaction to it that I did, but I'm going with my gut here.

Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite musicals and Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors. I think most of his cuts and changes benefited the movie, though it was too gory for me at parts. I just looked away. The King of Kong was the most compelling story of the year, and there are accusations that it has played a little loose with the facts but they don't bother me. An extremely fascinating character story, and whatever changes they made ramped up the drama and entertainment so good for them. The Bourne Ultimatum was a very skillfully made and plotted action movie.

No Country For Old Men is over-rated but still very good. I still think the last half hour or so was boring and silly. Catch and Release was a bit of a missed opportunity, but it was well acted and had a good love story and made me laugh so it ranks high anyways. Superbad was very funny and easily the best of the recent Apatow comedies, even though the humor was frequently a bit too vulgar for my tastes. I never got the feeling that the movie had no point, which was the feeling I couldn't shake all throughout Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin. The Mist was a well made thriller with a fun anti-fundamentalist Christian message. It built suspense very well and paid the suspense off with well-designed demon creatures. Nancy Drew was an Emma Roberts showcase and I loved it for that if nothing else (OK, I definitely loved it for that and nothing else). The mystery part wasn't very interesting. Music and Lyrics was a fun throwaway romantic comedy. I like leaving slots open for all style no substance movies that entertained me and this was the best of those this year (depending on how much substance you attribute to Enchanted).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home