Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I'm Back

I haven't made a real post yet, but that's because my internet connection has been down since Friday.  I do plan on posting on this thing basically every weekday, because it gives me something to do.  A two-fer today, to make up for lost time.

Top 10 Songs of the 1970's, presented without comment (alphabetical order)

Big Star - Ballad of El Goodo
Talking Heads - Cities
Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
Tom Waits - I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You
The Cars - Just What I Needed
XTC - Making Plans for Nigel
X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage, Up Yours!
Bob Dylan - Shelter From the Storm
Cheap Trick - Southern Girls

Top 5 Teen Movies of the 90's and 00's (Ranked, this time)

5.  SHE'S ALL THAT
Starring:  Freddie Prinze, Jr. & Rachel Leigh Cook
Comment:  Yes I know this is in reality a horrible movie, but it exemplifies everything there is to love about the teen genre:  horrible acting, fake punched-up drama, predictable plot, attractive female leads...hey, there's even a dance sequence.  But the dialogue is just too horrible, even for me

4.  CAN'T HARDLY WAIT
Starring:  Jennifer Love Hewitt & Ethan Embry
Comment:  I love this movie, but I just love the top 3 more, I guess.  The characters are all funny, even if they are all one-dimensional stereotypes.  Funny, wacky plot, good dialogue.  The movie drags a little though, so it doesn't crack the top reaches

3.  SCREAM
Starring:  Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox & David Arquette
Comment:  I debated whether to include this or not, but I decided that if it's a movie about high schoolers, with teen characters, then it's a teen movie.  Briskly paced, entertaining, surprising twist at the end.  Great movie.

2.  10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
Starring:  Larisa Oleynik, Julia Stiles & Heath Ledger
Comment:  Well, some of you may know how much I love Larisa, but this movie is more than her.  Sharp dialogue, good acting, good love story...with Shakespeare, you can't go wrong.  Great movie, with a funny comic performance by Larry Miller as the overprotective dad.  Doesn't rank this high solely because I think Larisa is hot, although I do admit that's part of it.

1.  GET OVER IT
Starring:  Ben Foster, Kirsten Dunst, and Sisqo
Comment:  There was no other place this could be, no other place.  This movie is a legend, a classic, among my college friends, and with good reason.  It's really a funny movie.  Yes, Sisqo and Colin Hanks are awful, and the dialogue is crappy, but this is a hilarious movie, with mostly good performances, and the musical at the end is truly a thing of beauty.

Before I sign off, I just wanted to note that the top 4 were exceptionally close and in particular numbers 2-4 could have been rated in almost any order. I'll be back tomorrow with analyses of a few of my favorite movies


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home